I call myself a Wayseeker – someone who seeks to follow the way of Jesus, This is actually a lot harder than it sounds.
Here is what I have determined about Jesus and his Way thus far:
1. Forgiveness is mandatory.
2. Revenge is not allowed under any circumstances.
3. Judging other people is strictly forbidden.
4. You have to love a lot of unsavory people. In fact, you have to love everyone. That can get tiring, let me tell you.
5. Caring for the sick, the needy, the destitute, the possessed, outcasts, adulterers, thieves and all folks of questionable virtue and cleanliness is another requirement.
6. Being rich is a liability.
7. Being a woman is not a liability.
8. The Kingdom of God is here. Right now.
9. We are all members of the Kingdom.
10. Love is the price of entry into the Kingdom. All other debts and liabilities have been redeemed by Jesus.
So essentially the Beatles were right. All you need is love.
But like I said, that is easier than it sounds. I mean, it sounds straightforward in the abstract, but when you get down to real people and real situations, it is pretty darn tough to live the Way.
Take, for example, a couple of lessons from my own life this week.